Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between CSS transitions and CSS animations?
A transition animates a property change smoothly - for example, a button changing color on hover - and only runs when the property actually changes. An animation, defined with @keyframes, runs on its own without waiting for a trigger and can chain multiple steps, repeats, and directions. Use transitions for interactive state changes and animations for standalone, looping, or multi-step motion.
Can I create animations with CSS alone, or do I need JavaScript?
Many animations work with pure CSS: hover effects, loading spinners, entrance fades, and continuous loops all need no JavaScript. You only need JavaScript when the animation must respond to complex logic - physics, scroll position, or input beyond hover and click states. Starting with CSS keeps things simpler and is usually better for performance.
Which CSS properties should I animate for the smoothest results?
Animate transform and opacity whenever possible - browsers handle them on the compositor, so they stay smooth even on modest devices. Animating properties like width, height, top, or left forces the browser to recalculate layout on every frame, which causes jank. If you must animate layout, keep the affected elements small and few.
I am a beginner - where should I start with CSS?
Start with the fundamentals: the box model, selectors, and how display and position work, because animation tutorials assume you already understand them. Then practice one concept at a time - first transitions, then a single @keyframes animation - by tweaking small examples and watching the result. Free resources like MDN Web Docs give you a solid foundation before you move on to advanced techniques.












0 Comments