This year I celebrates my half a century. If it is true that a picture can explain more than thousand words, I am what you see on the selfportrait above. The picture says I love drawing and I love the graphite (also said I have an ugly face, but you are kind and pretend not to notice) I always had overwhelming passions, and the drawing is one of them. For a long time I have left to devote to other things, but I returned three years ago. Unfortunately I did not study art, and everything I know I learned from experience and from reading some drawing manuals. For the moment I'm posting old drawings, but the company of many great artists pushed me back to draw, so be careful: I’m at work.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is Franco Clun?
Franco Clun is a self-taught Italian artist known for photorealistic pencil portraits that are often mistaken for black-and-white photographs. He draws celebrities, animals, and everyday people using only graphite pencils on paper, and each portrait takes around 50 hours of careful work.
Is Franco Clun self-taught?
Yes. Clun has said he never formally studied art and learned everything through experience and from reading drawing manuals. He returned to drawing after a long break and built his remarkable realism through steady practice.
What materials does Franco Clun use?
Clun works with ordinary graphite pencils on quality paper, building up tone slowly through layered shading. His process shows that photorealism comes from patience and observation rather than expensive materials.
How can I learn realistic pencil drawing like this?
Start with graphite pencils of different hardness grades, practice basic shading techniques like hatching and blending, and study how light falls on your subject. Work from clear reference photos, measure proportions carefully, and be patient — realistic pencil drawing rewards consistent daily practice.










0 Comments